This is a mod I had contemplated since struggling with attaching the forestay on our very first sail. There was a lot to consider before doing this mod. First of all, would it be worth the effort? Then there was the question of just how much change this would cause to the geometry. Finally, did I really want to drill another hole in the mast? I decided the shorter the lever the better off I would be concerning the latter two quandaries. I ended up getting the CS Johnson Lever (Model Number: 15-212) from Defender Marine for $29.99.
I did end up drilling out the original 1/8" locking pin to 1/4" so I could use tethered, spring loaded, quick release pins for both the locking and attaching point pins. No more pins lost overboard or dealing with those annoying ringdings!
With the easy part done, it was time to add another hole to the mast. This is where the old adage measure twice, cut once is important. OH, and don't forget there are all sorts of wires inside that you probably don't want to drill through! I moved the mast hound up 3 1/8 inches while leaving the the stays attached where they were. This involved purchasing a SS nut, bolt and washers to match those attaching the stays. Then simply move the hound up to it's new location. If your measurement is slightly off, you should be able to adjust any discrepancy out with the turnbuckle.